PlanetVisible is a collaboration between three photographers and their passion for storytelling. Together we seek to Explore, Document and Share photography projects from around the world, with the world. Individually Jean-Luc Grossmann and Justin Hession work as professional photographers based out of Zurich, Switzerland. Karel Kukal, an early adopter of Stand Up Paddleboarding with extensive adventure travel experience, will complete the team.
The Norwegian archipelago situated within the Arctic Circle north of Tromsø is renowned for its natural beauty and rugged mountainous coastline. Bathed in the light of the Midnight Sun from late May through late July it is a place that gives the chance to feel nature’s elements and to experience the iridescent light of a phenomenon that is unfamiliar to most. The northern tip of Norway is offering at this period of the year an opportunity for an extraordinary journey.
In July 2017, the team intend to undertake a self supported SUP trip paddling each day through the late twilight hours to truly experience the full atmosphere of the Midnight Sun. Setting out at 8pm every evening they will be exploring the islands of Rebbenesøya, Grøtøya and Nordkvaløya in a region of pure untouched nature and very little civilization. In the endless summer days during the hours of the Midnight Sun the mountains light up in powerful reds and the sea calms and turns into a wonderful crimson blue. To capture and document our journey we will be using both photography and a drone for stunning aerial still and video shots. Traveling with a relatively new mode of transport under the magical light of the Midnight Sun, we seek to explore and share images from one of the most unique places on earth.
A TEAM OF OUTDOOR ENTHUSIASTS
Jean-Luc confesses that the spirit of adventure is strong within his soul. Jean-Luc was born in Paris and has lived for the past 32 years in Switzerland where he works as a professional photographer. His passion for people and outdoor photography and his thirst for discovery and adventure have taken him on several journeys all over the world. His favourite destinations are Greenland, the Outer-Hebrides, Madagascar, Cape Verde, Australia and Namibia.
Having traveled the world for 5 years as a backpacker in the 1990’s, Justin recognized his passion for adventure. After working on charter boats in the Caribbean his travels guided him from the depths of the Amazon to the foot of Mt Everest. He has kayaked the northern Alaskan rivers and road motorbikes across Mongolia in his constant quest for outdoor experiences. With over 15 years as a professional photographer he has combined his profession with his love for adventure to push his storytelling in exciting new directions.
Karel was born in Prague and grew up in Switzerland. Besides to his travels and expeditions he works as a psychiatrist and accompanies patients on discovering their inner worlds. As a doctor in Zurich, he is part of a mobile crisis intervention team treating emergency cases in their homes. In his spare time Karel regularly retreats to the Alps, where he has trained in mountain and expedition medicine. Being a longtime lifeguard he is also a passionate water sportsman and loves to explore new and remote places.
Without any doubt our lives have been influenced and changed by the passion for adventure and exploration. We love Mother Nature as it treats everyone the same. It does not seek anything from you or judge you. It is completely present at all time and is the ultimate teacher of life.
These images are a selection of the most amazing destinations and adventures we have undertaken over the past years.
We are connected to a wide network of editors and intend to publish our story in several magazines within the months after return.
Past Publications :
- ANIMAN / 260’000 readers / Switzerland & France
- TERRA / 40’000 readers / Germany & Switzerland
- GLOBETROTTER / 70’000 readers / Switzerland
- NEWLAND / 90’000 readers / Switzerland & France
- CANOE KAYAK FR / 90’000 readers / France & french speaking countries
- KAYAK TOURING / 175’000 readers / North America & worldwide
- PADDLE WORLD / 90’000 readers / USA & worldwide
- ADVENTURE KAYAK / 35’000 readers / Canada & worldwide
- 30 DEGRES / 500’000 readers / Switzerland & France
- PADDLER / 50’000 readers / USA & worldwide
- SCHWARZWEISS / 7’000 readers / Germany & Switzerland
- OUTTHERE TRAVEL / 170’000 readers / UK & Europe
- EVENEMENT / 100’000 readers / Belgium
- GRANDS-REPORTAGES / 680’000 readers / France
- GREENLAND TODAY / 30’000 readers / Greenland & Denmark
- KANU MAGAZIN / 30’000 readers / Switzerland & Germany
- OCEAN PADDLER / 30’000 readers / UK
- VOYAGES VOYAGES / 10’000 readers / Belgium
- PASSE-FRONTIERES / 100’000 readers / France
- Further publications for covers, advertising, web, calendars and newspapers
SPONSORSHIP AND MEDIA COVERAGE
We firmly believe that working with collaborators and supporters enhances our ability to explore, document and share stories from around the world, with the world. We respect and appreciate different cultures and environments and enjoy the creative challenge of getting the right images. Journalistic freedom and integrity are amongst our core values. If you share our passion for combining photography and storytelling and would like to support our current project, please get in touch. We would love to hear from you.
Our sponsors benefit from high quality photographs and are free to use the story of our adventure and reports. We will be carrying professional photographic and filming equipment. We intend to get coverage of our journey in various media channels such as magazines, newspapers, web and presentations that will follow our trip. We will be mentioning our sponsors in magazines, on this website and our social media networks.
If you would like to contribute to our adventure with outdoor equipment, financial aid or need more informations about our journey please don’t hesitate to contact us at email@example.com
Expected photographic and filming shots:
- Natural product photography with landscape background
- Landscape sceneries: Midnight Sun, islands, seascapes, fjords, weather, …
- Drone photography and filming
- Expedition type shots
- How we live, what we experience, the highs and the lows, interviews, …
- Underwater photography & half land / half water type shots